Legacy Client/Server Applications
IT organizations who are running their strategic or mission-critical applications on distributed environments are experiencing similar pain as those running on the big iron. The challenges of staying on these systems increase by the day:
- The underlying fat-client application architecture of these systems is mostly built on top of old procedural software development languages, rendering it impossible to rapidly evolve and reuse some of its core business functions.
- But even the more modern, object-oriented programming languages such as Smalltalk or C++ are out of style and out of support by major vendors.
- The technical subject matter experts are retiring in large numbers creating enormous pressure on IT to support and evolve its software systems to adequately support its business.
- The underlying tools are too old further inhibiting productivity and time to market.
- Due to emergence of modern programming languages, there is no incentives for new workforce to join organizations that haven’t adopted new technologies.
- The proprietary nature of these client/server-based platforms makes it difficult for vendors to integrate with open-source platforms and leading development practices, namely Agile and DevOps.
Any one of the pain points above is a strong-enough incentive to modernize. We are at the cross roads of major technical revolution knows as “digital transformation”, where Web meets Mobile, which meets Big Data, which meets Cloud, which meets IoT, which meets Machine Learning.
The Easy Path to Modernization
Our modernization solutions use our Modernization Lifecycle Platform (MLP) to manage the entire lifecycle of modernizations, accelerating projects by using best-of-breed migration and automation engines. Our systematic approach to modernization powered by automation, traceability, and transparency eliminates the need for development freezes. We save thousands of hours on manual efforts, reduce risk of introducing unexpected and random errors, and guarantee 100% functional equivalency while gaining the latest web, mobile, cloud, and microservices capabilities.
3GL Programming Languages
IDEs and Frameworks
- Object Studio/Enfin
- Visual Smalltalk Enterprise (VSE)
- for Smalltalk GUIs
- for Java GUIs